The first Public School race was in 1868 between Scotch and Melbourne Grammar. In 1871 Wesley competed for the first time, and won for the first time in 1874. In the years that followed there was competition and controversy. Races were inconsistent – floods, illness, even death of a crew member. Age and weights also had to be considered when making a team. In the early years the crew consisted of eight rowers plus a cox. The seats were fixed, the wooden boats were heavy.
The Head of the River could be officially dated from 1875, previously being named the Summer Cup. Often a second crew raced, up until 1900, though not every school could supply another crew. More schools joined the competition – Geelong Grammar then Xavier and by 1908 Geelong College.
The golden age of Wesley rowing was in the early part of the 20th century when Charlie Donald joined the School and coached the crews to 12 out of 15 races from 1901 to 1915. He was known as revered as the Prince of Coaches coaching for 40 years.
From 1901 crews rowed in fours rather than eights. The course later changed from the Yarra to the Barwon, and more recently to the Nagambie River.
The first captain of Boats was WR Thomson in 1890.
The uniform insignia was a badge with a lion’s head with crossed oars in gold, pocket colours of crossed oars in gold with the dates he rowed, and on his cap crossed oars in gold.
Only cricket and rowing have gold, the other sports have silver.